Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Pass Along Card

Hola everyone!
So I got transferred last week! I am now in the zone of Merlo in the area of Padua. My area feels so small compared to my last one. This one is tiny. This area is also very cheto (rich). I do not have a bike anymore, only walking, my feet hurt haha. This area is a big city, unlike my last area out in the fields and forests. It´s weird getting used to. My new companion, Elder Jamison, is the tallest elder in the district. He´s like 6´6 or something! He and I are very different. He is very smart and loves computers and technology. He went to a semester of college and studied programming. He has been on the mission for 9 months and this is his first time being senior comp. That means I need to step up and really help out. I´m excited to be here!
I want to share an experience we had yesterday. Sunday afternoon at about 3pm, we were out contacting in the streets, just walking around trying to find strangers to teach. The streets were just empty. After about an hour, we finally saw someone taking out the trash. We stopped and talked to him. Trying to quickly teach him something about our church before he walked away, Elder Jamison pulled out a 'Restoration' pamphlet and opened to a picture of a warm smiling family. He showed this man the picture and said something along the lines of ,"Our message will bring much happiness and peace to your family." The man paused and looked a little angry. He said to us ,"My family is happy, and we do not need your religion to help us." He then proceeds to yell at us for forcing our religion on him, and told us of all the pain and suffering he has seen in the world. He said that we do not know anything about it because we´re just rich Americans. This went on for 10 minutes. I suddenly felt a prompting to bear my testimony of Jesus Christ and leave. I reached into my bag and pulled out a pass along card. It had a picture of the Savior on it. I then said, "We are only 19 years old. We have left our lives to come here and serve you and the people of Argentina. You are right, I have not personally experienced the pain and suffering of the world. But He has. He knows. He understands what you have been through. Jesus Christ suffered for me, and for you, and for everyone. He died for you so that you and your family can live together in happiness forever. We know these things are true." I then gave him the card, told him to have a good day, and left.
Rejection is bound to happen. I cannot count the number of times I have been yelled at, laughed at, or had a door shut on me. But every time that happens, I can feel at peace knowing that I have the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. And for that I am eternally grateful. I bear testimony that this Church is true in the name of Jesus Christ, amén.

Elder Gygi

No comments:

Post a Comment