Sunday, March 12, 2017

Transportation via Bikes or Horses

After only a short month and a half I left Moreno and have come to Las Heras! This area is very different from anywhere I have been before in my mission. It is the equivalent of tiny farm town in Montana. Extremely far from any other city. But it is great here. The people are friendly, it's not dangerous, and everyone rides bikes or horses. The town is very pretty with cobblestone streets and a central plaza with the community Catholic Church. Our area also includes the (even smaller and farther away) towns of Villars and Navarro which are both about a 40 minute bus ride from where we live in Las Heras. We are about 4 hours from Buenos Aires Capital. 
My companion is Elder Ramirez, a big guy but very relaxed and funny. He is 19 and has been on the mission for 6 months. He comes from the town of Guaymallen in the province of Mendoza, Argentina, a state that is next to Chile. He is a convert to the church, baptized at 10 years old and he was also the first in his family to listen to the missionaries and be baptized. I am very excited to be with him, my 6th Spanish speaking companion, he also wants help to learn English! 
There is no LDS chapel in our area. Las Heras is a ward but there are not enough members to build a chapel. So the church is renting an apartment we use as the meeting house. This past Sunday was fast and testimony meeting. We were about 25 in attendance in a little room. We took the sacrament and then I was asked to present myself and share my testimony. I felt impressed to share a scripture I had that morning in my personal study, 1 Nefi 13:37:

"And blessed are they who shall seek to bring forth my Zion at that day, for they shall have the gift and the power of the Holy Ghost; and if they endure unto the end they shall be lifted up at the last day, and shall be saved in the everlasting kingdom of the Lamb; and whoso shall publish peace, yea, tidings of great joy, how beautiful upon the mountains shall they be."

Bringing forth Zion is what we have been called to do, not just me and Elder Ramirez, but every member. We have the promise of the power and gift of the Holy Ghost to help us in this work, and the greatest promise that we shall be saved and receive peace at the last day. I know this is a promise for every member!

Sincerely,
Elder Gygi

No comments:

Post a Comment