Monday, June 27, 2016

A Remís and Bungee Cords

Well, it is still cold here. I see no end in sight. But our new apartment has 2 heaters so it is better! I have moved from the big city life of Merlo to the rural back roads of Loma Grande. I like it more here. I am also the District Leader here. There are only 4 of us in my district. My companion Elder Hammond and one other companionship, Elder Jacobson (Mesa AZ!) and Elder Cortes (Chile!) I enjoy being a District Leader as I have some more responsibility. I will also have more contact with the Zone Leaders. This area is more rural with many dirt roads. Our apartment is on a dirt road! It was a fun adventure getting here. I took a remís (basically a run down, cheaper version of a taxi). The guy put my luggage in the trunk but it wouldn’t close so he tied it shut with bungee cords! I was laughing and thinking in my mind, “Yep, this is Argentina!” The ride was like 30 min. But hey it got the job done so I am not complaining! A  remís is like if you made a bunch of flyers saying you can give people rides in mom's Jeep and put them all over the city. Except instead of a new Jeep it was a 1988 Fiat. 

My new companion is Elder Hammond from Mexico! He has been in the mission for 3 months! He arrived here with my son Elder Dominguez. He actually speaks decent English because for the past 3 years he lived in San Luis, Arizona! So now I have had 3 Latino comps in a row. We only speak Spanish together. I am forgetting English. 

I am trying to adjust to the new area. We visited the R. family last week and taught their kids a lesson about Nephi and his brothers. After the lesson, my companion offered a prayer and we got up to leave.  As we were walking out, I felt something tug at my pant leg. I looked down and saw their little 4-year-old girl holding on to me. She says, with frown, "Elder I wanted to say the prayer!" So I kneel down next to her and say "Ok I’m listening!" She said a little simple prayer in the way that only a four-year-old can. The one sentence that really made me smile was this: "Heavenly Father, thank you for sending the Elderes to my house." I felt very humbled to be there and hear this prayer. Small moments like this are why I am happy that I came on a mission. 

¡Hasta la Proxima!

Elder Gygi

1 comment: